These Fresh Watermelon Margaritas are super easy to make, refreshingly delicious and make the perfect addition to your 4th of July weekend or summer barbecues!
The 4th of July holiday weekend is right around the corner and I thought I’d put a fun spin on one of my favorite cocktails, the classic margarita! Summer is meant to be enjoyed and these fresh watermelon margaritas are perfect for sipping poolside, hosting a gathering or even just relaxing on the back deck. Basically ANY TIME! Plus it’s such a pretty pink color so how can you resist??
Margaritas have always been one of my guilty pleasures. Unfortunately the fruity ones ordered in restaurants are just way TOO sweet for me and are typically made with those bottled mixes that are packed with sugar. Enter this perfect FRESH watermelon margarita! A delicious combo of fresh fruit juice, my favorite tequila, a little orange liqueur and lightly sweetened with a splash of honey.
Oh and don’t forget to salt your rim!
My fridge is always stocked with fresh watermelon all summer long, I can’t get enough of it. So this recipe is perfect when you have some extra watermelon on hand and in need of a good cocktail!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Watermelon – the star of this margarita! You’ll need two heaping cups of cubed watermelon that you’ll mix up in your blender then strain the juice through a mesh sieve. Make sure to keep some extra watermelon slices if you want to make these cute little stars and make your drink festive!
- Limes – you can’t have a margarita without fresh limes! Make sure to use fresh squeezed lime juice and not the bottled stuff, trust me it makes a huge difference in taste.
- Tequila – I like to use silver tequila for this and my favorite brand is Casamigos, but use whatever you like!
- Orange liqueur – I love a good classic margarita and always add a little triple sec, Grand Marnier or Cointreau to mine. For this recipe I used triple sec, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- Honey – Mix a tablespoon of honey with a tablespoon of warm water and you’ve got your own simple syrup to lightly sweeten these margs!
- Blueberries – these are completely optional, but they add a little extra flare and color for the 4th of July!
HOW TO MAKE A WATERMELON MARGARITA
This delicious pink cocktail might just be the easiest thing you’ll make all summer! Oh and most delicious 😉
- Blend up the watermelon. First you’ll cut your watermelon up into cubes, removing any large seeds, and mix them up in your blender until it becomes a juice. Then strain the blended watermelon through a mesh sieve into a measuring cup to get out the pulp, you should get about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of juice.
- Shake it up! You may have to do this in two batches, but in a large cocktail shaker or mason jar with a lid, add ice, the strained watermelon juice, tequila, triple sec, lime juice and honey (you’ll want to mix 1 Tbsp of honey with 1 Tbsp of warm water first so that the honey won’t clump when mixing) then shake it up. You can also just add ice to a small pitcher and mix all of your ingredients together that way, whatever is easiest!
- Salt your rim. On a small plate, add a little lime juice or water and place the salt on another plate. Dip the rim of each glass in the lime juice or water and then dip that into the salt. You could also add a little chili lime seasoning if you want a kick of spice!
- Make it festive! This is totally optional, but if you want to add a little flare, throw in a few blueberries and make cute watermelon sparklers using star-shaped cookie cutters. These are the ones I have and there are several different sizes to choose from, so have fun with them!
And that’s it! A few easy steps and you get refreshing margaritas. This recipe makes a small pitcher (about 4 good size servings), but if you wanted to make a large pitcher for a crowd (which I highly recommend!), feel free to double this recipe. No need to shake either, simply add all of your ingredients into a pitcher with ice and mix.
CAN I MAKE THIS WITHOUT ALCOHOL?
You sure can! Simply replace the tequila with sparkling water (or even diet sprite) and mix everything together. You could also add a little orange juice in place of the triple sec which would add even more flavor.
CAN I MAKE THIS SPICY?
Absolutely. I love a good jalapeño margarita and this one would taste great with added spice! Just remove the seeds and add the chopped jalapeño to the blender with the watermelon chunks and blend! You could also mix in a few jalapeño slices to your finished margarita so that the spice infuses right into your drink. Either way, it would be delicious! As I said above, adding a little chili lime seasoning to the rim of your glass is a fun, spicy touch as well!
Pro tip: Simply freeze your watermelon chunks in the freezer for a few hours and add them to the blender along with the rest of the ingredients for a delicious FROZEN margarita! This recipe also tastes amazing as adult popsicles 😉
OTHER FUN COCKTAILS TO TRY THIS SUMMER
So make your 4th of July a little more fun this year with these delicious fresh watermelon margaritas! They definitely won’t disappoint and with all that 2020 has thrown at us this year, I’d say we DESERVE a good cocktail. Hope you enjoy friends, cheers!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- 2 cups seedless watermelon, cut into cubes
- 8 oz (1 cup) silver tequila
- 3 oz (1/3 cup) triple sec
- 2 oz (1/4 cup) fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp agave (or honey)
- 1 Tbsp warm water
- Blueberries (optional)
- Place watermelon chunks in a blender and blend on high for a few seconds until it becomes a juice.
- Strain the blended watermelon in a mesh sieve into a cocktail shaker or pitcher filled with ice.
- To make the honey simple syrup, mix together 1 tablespoon honey (or agave) with 1 tablespoon warm water so that the honey will easily mix into the margarita.
- In the cocktail shaker or pitcher that you strained the watermelon juice into, add tequila, triple sec, lime juice and honey. Mix until well-chilled.
- To salt the rim, add a little lime juice or water on a small plate and add salt to another plate. Dip the rim of each glass in the lime juice or water and then dip that into the salt.
- Fill with ice and pour the shaken margarita into each glass. Add blueberries, if desired, and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 margarita
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 14.5 g
- Sodium: 0.8 g
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0.2 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.