Keto strawberry shortcake includes a tasty biscuit base, topped with scrumptious layers of candy strawberries and wealthy, creamy whipped cream.
This is by far one among my favourite desserts! I like layer truffles of any sort (this keto birthday cake is one other large favourite), and on this case, the mix of flavors and textures is just wonderful. 🍰
I’d concede that it’s not the best recipe to make. Keto strawberry shortcake requires baking the cake layer (biscuits on this case), whipping cream, slicing strawberries, after which assembling the whole lot collectively. But the creamy, candy, pleasant result’s nicely value it, for my part.
A keto various to an outdated favourite
When my daughter was very younger, we had a “date” as soon as per week. I’d decide her up from kindergarten, and we’d go to the native cafe and order a strawberry shortcake to separate. We each bear in mind these outings fondly.
These days, I’d by no means bask in the original cake. But some time in the past, after I was making keto biscuits, it occurred to me that they might be a super base for a keto strawberry shortcake. Simply cut back (or omit) the salt, add vanilla and a sweetener, and make them a bit larger. Voilà!
So I gave it a attempt, and it was fantastic. How wonderful, to get to benefit from the candy, creamy, tasty layers whereas staying devoted to my manner of consuming!
The substances you’ll want
You’ll solely want just a few easy substances to make this tasty dessert. The actual measurements are included within the recipe card beneath. Here’s an outline of what you’ll want:
For the topping:
Fresh strawberries: Since I don’t trouble with macerating the strawberries, I ensure they’re crimson and ripe.
Heavy cream: I whip it right into a keto whipped cream within the meals processor (quick and straightforward!), as defined beneath.
Sweetener: I take advantage of stevia glycerite, however you need to use a granulated sweetener as a substitute.
Vanilla extract: Try to make use of the actual factor in the event you can – pure vanilla extract.
For the biscuits:
Egg: Just one egg is required, and I take advantage of a big one.
Sour cream: Adds moisture and creaminess to the biscuits.
Sweetener and vanilla extract: I comply with the identical suggestions above – stevia or a granulated sweetener, and utilizing an actual vanilla extract.
Salt: Just a pinch, and you may really omit it altogether if you want.
Almond flour: You ought to positively use blanched almond flour and never almond meal.
Baking powder: It’s at all times a good suggestion to ensure it’s recent.
How to make keto strawberry shortcake
Please scroll right down to the recipe card for the detailed directions. Here are the essential steps:
1. Make the biscuits. As defined above, I principally use my common recipe, lowering or omitting the salt, and including a sweetener and vanilla. I additionally make them larger, making 4 biscuits as a substitute of six. When prepared, I cool them rapidly within the fridge, then slice them horizontally to create two layers.
2. Whip the heavy cream with vanilla and a sweetener and slice the strawberries. I like utilizing the meals processor when whipping heavy cream, however clearly, you need to use no matter methodology you want.
3. To assemble the cake, merely layer the biscuits, strawberries, and whipped cream. So you place a layer of biscuit, high it with strawberries, then whipped cream, then one other layer of biscuit. Finally, for adornment, add a dollop of whipped cream and half a strawberry on the highest. The finest technique to see tips on how to make these is to look at the video beneath, within the recipe card.
There’s no want for sugar within the strawberries!
Almost all traditional recipes will instruct you to macerate the strawberries with sugar. I discover it pointless.
The very act of slicing the strawberries and letting them stand at room temperature releases their juices and softens them. And this brings out their pure sweetness. This is very true in the event you use crimson, ripe strawberries.
What sweetener to make use of in keto strawberry shortcake?
I take advantage of stevia glycerite, my favourite sweetener. I really feel that the glycerite formulation has probably the most pure style of all stevia merchandise. It nearly eliminates the bitter aftertaste typical to this sweetener.
But you need to use a granulated sweetener if you want. I included recommended conversions beneath within the recipe card.
The meals processor makes wonderful whipped cream
The meals processor makes wonderful, thick whipped cream – no elbow grease required. But because it’s so environment friendly, keep watch over it and attempt to keep away from over-whipping.
A typical dimension meals processor seemingly gained’t work right here although, because the quantity of cream is comparatively small. If you don’t have a mini meals processor, you need to use a handheld electrical mixer.
Speaking of whipped cream, typically I make this recipe with chocolate whipped cream. It’s surprisingly good!
Is this a make-ahead recipe?
Not actually. I suppose that is the principle downside of this keto strawberry shortcake recipe (however oh, it’s so value it!). You ought to actually make it not more than an hour or so earlier than you intend on serving it.
Never miss a recipe!
I sometimes publish a brand new recipe a few times per week. Want the brand new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Strawberry Shortcake
Keto strawberry shortcake options tasty biscuits topped with scrumptious layers of candy strawberries and wealthy, creamy whipped cream.
Servings: 4 truffles
For the biscuits:
- 1 giant egg
- 1/4 cup bitter cream
- half teaspoon vanilla extract
- half teaspoon stevia glycerite (equals 1/Three cup sugar)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blanched finely floor almond flour (not almond meal) (Four oz)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (ensure it is recent)
Filling and topping:
- 10 medium strawberries crimson and ripe
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream chilly
- half teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia glycerite (equals about 1 tablespoon sugar)
Make the biscuits:
Preheat your oven to 350 levels F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the egg, bitter cream, vanilla, stevia, and salt. Using a rubber spatula, combine within the almond flour, then the baking powder.
Using a big 4-tablespoon scoop, place Four mounds of the dough on the ready baking sheet. Very calmly flatten the tops, not an excessive amount of or they’ll be too flat to slice.
Bake till golden, 15-18 minutes. Turn the oven off, take away the biscuits, and place them within the fridge on paper towels to rapidly chill them whilst you make the filling.
Make the filling and topping:
Cut two of the strawberries in half. You’ll use these 4 halves to high the truffles. Slice the remaining strawberries into 1/8-inch slices.
Place the whipping cream, vanilla and stevia in a mini meals processor bowl*. Process on excessive (in case you have a “grind” and a “chop” setting, use the “chop” setting) till the combination turns into whipped cream, 30-60 seconds. Make certain to not over-process. 3/Four cup liquid cream ought to yield about 1 half cup of whipped cream.
Carefully slice every biscuit horizontally. Arrange 4-5 strawberry slices on the underside half. Spoon about 1/Four cup of whipped cream on high of the strawberries. Top with the second biscuit slice. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a halved strawberry. Repeat with the three remaining biscuits.
Serve instantly, or maintain at room temperature for as much as an hour earlier than serving.
* You may also whip the cream the old style manner, in a chilly mixing bowl utilizing a handheld electrical whisk with chilly attachments. If you go this route, whip the cream till it begins to thicken, then add the vanilla and stevia and proceed to beat till agency, taking care to not overbeat.
Keto Strawberry Shortcake
Amount Per Serving (1 cake)
Calories 375 Calories from Fat 315
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 14g88%
* Percent Daily Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.