Roasted butternut squash, brussels sprouts and apples all tossed along with contemporary herbs, chopped pecans and drizzled with a scrumptious maple dijon glaze! The good aspect dish to your vacation meal!
I really like all issues fall, particularly transitioning to all that scrumptious seasonal produce! One of my favourite fall staples fingers down is butternut squash. Not solely is it so versatile (give me ALL the butternut squash soups), it simply makes your kitchen odor so dang good! Pair it with roasted brussels sprouts and tender apples and also you’ve received scrumptious perfection! This recipe is ideal for the vacations or actually any given night time of the week. We roast veggies in our home a number of occasions every week and I simply love how easy that is to throw collectively.
This maple glazed butternut squash and brussels sprouts is the right mixture of savory and candy, nevertheless it’s additionally a scrumptious wholesome choice too which makes it such a fantastic vacation aspect dish to assist steadiness out all of your favourite indulgent meals 😉 I made this for a Friendsgiving a number of years in the past and it was a complete hit, so I simply needed to share it with you guys!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Butternut squash – I completely love roasting butternut squash as a result of it caramelizes so fantastically and at all times comes out completely tender that you simply wish to eat it proper off the pan! You might additionally use candy potatoes and even cubed pumpkin on this recipe.
- Brussels sprouts – one other considered one of my favourite seasonal veggies as a result of they style superb with all these fall flavors! If you’re not a fan of brussels sprouts, be happy to make use of broccoli, asparagus and even cauliflower.
- Apples – I used inexperienced granny smith apples for these, however any apples will work! I prefer to hold the peel on when chopping them, however that is simply my private desire.
- Shallots – I simply LOVE the flavour of roasted shallots so I included them in with these veggies, however crimson or white onion would work nice too.
- Olive oil – this helps deliver out all that scrumptious roasted taste and offers the veggies a pleasant golden shade. Olive oil can be vital to maintain the veggies from burning or drying out.
- Pecans – you would additionally use walnuts, cashews and even pine nuts. I really like the added crunch it provides!
- Maple syrup – this provides the right quantity of sweetness to the dish whereas bringing out the superb flavors of the produce. If you don’t have maple syrup, you would at all times use honey or attempt a mixture of each!
- Dijon mustard – added for much more taste
- Fresh herbs – I used a mixture of contemporary thyme, rosemary and sage, however you should utilize dried herbs as nicely. I simply at all times assume contemporary is greatest!
- Cinnamon – only a pinch of cinnamon goes a great distance and tastes unimaginable with all these fall flavors!
Other methods you may costume this dish up is by including bacon (10/10 suggest!) for much more taste, or throw in some dried cranberries so as to add extra sweetness and shade! I at all times love including cranberries if serving as a vacation dish just because it seems to be so festive and colourful.
HOW TO CUT BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- Start by slicing off the underside portion of the squash. This helps stabilize the squash so you can begin peeling it. Make certain to have a great vegetable peeler and work your manner down from the stem. Butternut squash pores and skin is skinny and easy so that is very easy to do!
- Next minimize off the stem and slice your squash in half longways utilizing a sharp chef’s knife. If your squash is absolutely thick and onerous to chop, you may simply pop it within the microwave or oven to heat it up for a couple of minutes to make it simpler to slice by way of. Then simply scoop out all of the seeds and stringy components utilizing a spoon.
- Lay your halves minimize aspect down on a slicing board and slices the squash into 1-inch cubes. You’ll need them to be as shut in dimension as attainable in order that the squash cooks evenly. And that’s it!
ROASTING VEGGIES AND FRUIT
So now that your butternut squash is chopped and also you’ve sliced your brussels sprouts, apples and shallots, it’s time to roast all the things within the oven! First place all the things in a big bowl (besides the apples since you’ll add these midway by way of) and drizzle with olive oil. Then add in all of your contemporary herbs and toss collectively. Make certain to make use of a pleasant heavy responsibility baking sheet (I really like these ones, particularly for sheet pan meals!) and line with foil or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Then unfold out all of the veggies in a good layer onto the sheet pan (you might even want to make use of two pans in order that they don’t overcrowd) and season with salt and pepper. Pop within the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, add in your chopped apples and toss along with the veggies. I like so as to add the apples halfway by way of as a result of they have an inclination to get actually mushy if roasted for too lengthy. Pop all the things again within the oven and roast for a further 15 minutes till the veggies have a pleasant shade and are tender. Toss with chopped pecans, further herbs and drizzle with the maple dijon glaze!
HOW TO MAKE THE MAPLE GLAZE
This is certainly my favourite a part of this dish! While the veggies are ending up roasting, mix the maple syrup, dijon mustard, contemporary thyme and pinch of cinnamon in a small saucepan and convey to a simmer over medium warmth. Reduce warmth to medium-low and let the the sauce simmer for about 5 to six minutes till the combination has thickened and diminished. Super easy proper?! Then simply drizzle or brush the maple glaze over the veggies and pecans and revel in!
If you don’t have maple syrup available or simply don’t look after the style of it, honey works nice on this recipe as nicely. I’ve additionally made this utilizing a mixture of each honey and maple syrup and it tastes superb! You may also add somewhat balsamic vinegar to the combination as nicely for extra sturdy taste.
MORE HOLIDAY SIDE DISHES TO ENJOY
These dishes are all tremendous easy to make and could be good addition your vacation menu!
Hope you all get pleasure from this Maple Glazed Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts and should you love them as a lot as we do, please depart me a five-star score under and don’t neglect to tag me on Instagram utilizing the hashtag #eatyourselfskinny! I really like seeing all of your scrumptious recreations!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 half lb butternut squash, minimize into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp contemporary thyme
- 1 tsp contemporary rosemary
- half tsp contemporary sage
- Salt and pepper, to style
- 2 apples, cored and chopped into 1-inch cubes (I used Granny Smith apples)
- 1/four cup chopped pecans
For the maple glaze:
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- half tsp contemporary thyme
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 levels F.
- In a big bowl, toss collectively butternut squash, brussels sprouts, and shallots with olive oil then add in thyme, rosemary and sage, mixing till evenly mixed. Spread veggies out in a good layer on a sheet pan lined with foil or coated with nonstick spray, ensuring to not overcrowd the veggies. You may also use two sheet pans if essential.
- Place sheet pan within the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Remove the pan and add chopped apples, tossing along with the veggies. Place sheet pan again within the oven and roast for a further 15 minutes, till veggies have a pleasant golden shade and are tender.
- While the veggies roast within the oven, you can also make the maple glaze. In a small saucepan over medium warmth, mix maple syrup, Dijon mustard, contemporary thyme and cinnamon and convey to a simmer. Reduce warmth to medium-low and persevering with to simmer for five to six minutes till sauce has thickened and diminished.
- Transfer roasted veggies and apples to a serving dish, toss with chopped pecans and drizzle with the maple glaze. Serve and revel in!
- Serving Size: 1/sixth of recipe
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 16.6 g
- Sodium: 191.9 mg
- Fat: 8.Three g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 49.1 g
- Fiber: 7.1 g
- Protein: 6.Three g
* Please observe that every one vitamin info are simply estimates. Values will differ amongst manufacturers, so we encourage you to calculate these by yourself for many correct outcomes.